Photo Blog

<< RETURN TO HOMEPAGE

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Red's Dawns: A Local Donut Shop Turns 60.


Donuts. Photos by Nic Coury.

Sometimes I write stories too. This week, I wrote about a well-known Monterey breakfast place, Red's Donuts, celebrating 60 years of making donuts.

For a few weeks, people would ask me what current projects I was working on and I would get very excited and tell them about the Red's story and how crazy it was!

I told about this woman I interviewed who had worked at Red's Donuts on Alvarado in Monterey for 37 years. I mentioned how Red's in Seaside pumps out just shy of 4,000 donuts every morning to deliver all over the county.

It was a very fun piece to write and shoot.


For the last 10 years, Gerry Mackenzie has eaten donuts a few times a week at Red’s in Monterey.


Sugar donuts awaiting empty stomachs.


The long, yellow counter top at Red's in Monterey.


Red's is full of regulars starting at 6:30am.

Posted by Nic Coury/staff photographer.

No comments:

Post a Comment